So, my friend Laurenne posted that she had made Mac and Cheese recently, and ever since I’ve had THE biggest craving for it!
I wasn’t remotely patient enough to find out her recipe, so I made up my own, random, ingredients thrown into a pan version.
It could have been a disaster, it probably should have been a disaster, but hey ho, it was gooooood! It was cheesy and creamy and streeeetchy.
And in true to us fashion, the oven door has fallen off, so this recipe only requires stove top cooking.
Serves 6 (easily!)
- 300g Dried Macaroni
- 50g Vegan Butter (I used Vitalite)
- 2 heaped Tbsp Plain Flour
- 750ml Dairy Free Milk (I used Oatly Barista Milk )
- 350-400g Vegan Cheese (I used a mixture of Sainsbury’s Grated Cheddar Style, Sainsbury’s Caramelised Onion Cheddar Style and Violife Parmesan Style)
- 1 heaped tsp English Mustard.
- Salt & Pepper to taste.
- Cook macaroni as per packet instructions and leave to one side. (I like to put the macaroni on to cook while I make the sauce.
- Melt the butter in a pan. Once melted, add the flour slowly until you have a roux. (Roux is the posh term for thick buttery flour mixture haha, but you want to allow the flour to dissolve a bit before the next step.
- Add the milk little by little, stirring to combine with the roux. Every time you add more milk make sure you wait until it thickens before you add more, or it will become lumpy.
- Once you have used all of the milk and it’s thickened, add your cheese and stir it in. Keep stirring while it melts.
- Add the mustard and mix all together until smooth.
- Drain the macaroni, then add your sauce into the pan with your macaroni. Stir together until all is evenly coated.
- Leave on a low heat for around 10 minutes. I just find this makes it all smush together really nicely! Lots of ooey, gooey, cheesy goodness!
- Serve! I sprinkle mine with black pepper, but you could add fried breadcrumbs or more cheese!!
- Eat, eat and eat some more.
- Then walk away, come back and eat even more.
I tried to understand updating my blog in order to use a recipe plugin, but I’m not that tech savvy haha! I hope you all enjoy!